24 Sep Brace Yourself for a Modified Diet
One of the most common questions we get is, “What foods can I eat now that I have braces on?” Excellent question.
The general rule is that you want to avoid eating very hard and sticky foods. These foods place a lot of pressure on the brackets and cause them to become loose. If brackets break off, they are no longer effective in moving your teeth and can cause the wire to poke you. Also, avoid eating sugary and acidic food and drinks such as soda because these make your teeth more susceptible to cavities and decalcifications, especially now that you have braces on.
Sticky Foods to Avoid
- Starburst and gummy bears
- Caramels, taffy, licorice
Hard Foods to Avoid
- Hard, crunchy chips and popcorn kernels
- Hard candies and lozenges
- Whole apple and pears – you can still enjoy these foods but slice them first!
- Hard slices of bread, such as pretzels and French baguettes
- Pizza crust–pizza is ok but avoid that crispy crust!
Avoid These Habits
- Chewing on pens and pencils
- Biting fingernails
Foods That Are Encouraged with Braces
- Soft Grains like rice and cooked pasta
- Dairy Products such as eggs and yogurt
- Soft breads like pancakes, muffins, tortillas, etc
- Soft Fruits
- Steamed Vegetables
- Blended Foods/ Desserts- applesauce, smoothies, pudding, ice cream, milkshakes
We want your orthodontic experience to be as smooth and comfortable as possible, so following these guidelines is very important. The more you stick with a soft diet the more efficient and faster your treatment will be. If you have any other questions regarding your braces or recommended diet, don’t hesitate to call us at (708) 505-2525.